Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Cooking For Two Tuesday: Spaghetti


Spaghetti Dinner 

This is probably the easiest recipe in the world, even though the sauce is homemade (sort of).  
I remember one year {I was about maybe 9 years old} my friend and I made this dinner for my parents on their anniversary and pretended to be waitresses and served them by candlelight
 (in the laundry room of all places and at a card table)
Random.
Adorable right? Well, it was my friend's idea, but you get the point.
 I mastered this recipe at an early age.

PS: sorry mom for revealing your super secret spaghetti sauce


Spaghetti, sauce, & salad. Easy peasy.
 We usually do garlic bread too, but that's just too many carbs for me to comfortably eat
and we didn't have any white bread in the house.  
Wheat garlic bread is not tasty, take it from me.


First cut up your veggies, if you can't do that, you are in trouble.
I keep my tomatoes separate in case there are leftovers, tomatoes will wilt your salad quick.

Boil your water.
Add your noodles.
Don't overcook them.
Some people say throw one against the wall and if it sticks or something it is done?
I don't know. Google it.
I just say, "Lee come eat a noodle and tell me how they are doing."
I like them overcooked, he doesn't, therefore this is his job.

*SECRET* (jk mom) Recipe
First, sautee some onions in butter.
Then you brown hamburger meat.  I usually only do 1/2 lb and freeze the other half, but pictured above I did the whole thing.
Next you pour in a can of tomato soup (I always use Campbell's), 1 tbsp(ish meaning 1 or 2) of ketchup, and about a 1/2 cup of water.  I say about and -ish because it depends on you and you can't really mess it up.
Now this is my own step (not part of the original recipe)
 which is why I say it's only sort of homemade.
At this point I like to dump about 1/2 bottle of some premade spaghetti sauce just to give you some veggies and seasonings without any work.


Lastly, I cut up some nummy cantaloupe.  
Just for a little something sweet and juicy.
We didn't eat it with dinner, but about 15 minutes later.


Enjoy!

If you are doubtful as to the deliciousness of this recipe, just know that my brother-in-law was over at our house once during dinner with spaghetti on the menu and he asked me how I learned to be such a good cook. 

I'm like it's spaghetti? How hard can it be?

Apparently it can be hard.  Apparently it can go wrong.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm loving your Tuesday cooking posts. I always need new ideas for dinner...
Also, I did something similar for my parents when I was little - cooked dinner and was the "waitress," etc.
Nowadays I am doing good if I cook dinner for myself, let alone anyone else. :)
We should get together soon! I still have your necklace you left at my house (confession: I wore it once), and I'm feeling like it's been forever since we went out to Cafe Rio.